Did you know that although gum disease is common, it can result in serious negative effects to your oral health care and your life? Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, affects many individuals in society and progresses over time. What may begin as gingivitis, can slowly deteriorate into a worsened condition that can lead to irreparable tooth loss. Dr. James R. Knochel and our team have some symptoms for you to look out for when it comes to gum disease:
– Look for signs that your gums have changed in their appearance. This includes swelling, tenderness, redness, or excessive bleeding.
– If you are suffering from bad breath, also known as halitosis, no matter how often you brush, floss, or use mouthwash, you could be suffering from gum disease.
– Have you noticed the change in the structure of your teeth, including any feelings of looseness or wobbly teeth?
– Are you showing any signs of gum disease that arise through your gums receding away from your teeth?
– Medications that you may be taking can cause dry mouth, which frequently causes gum disease.
– Bad habits such as smoking, chewing tobacco, and using drugs can increase your risk for gum disease.
– Ensure that your gums do not easily bleed when brushing, flossing, or eating food.
Are you showing any signs of gum disease? If so, you’re welcome to visit the dental practice of James R. Knochel, D.D.S., P.C. by scheduling an appointment with our team at our dentist office in Tucson, Arizona. We can be reached at 520-747-7944. Let us help you combat the threat of gum disease!